Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm Back!

Well, after 123 plus days in the beautiful contry of Kuwait, I made it back. Thank heavens. I could not stand another day there. I sure love the US of A, warts and all.

My flight home was LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! roughly twenty plus hours in the air is a long, long time to be sitting. Kuwait to Shannon, Ireland, Shannon to Baltimore, Baltimore to Cincinnati, and finally home. Left Saturday night, Kuwait time, and arrived home Sunday, just after 4p.m. I'm still suffering from jet lag.

Kuwait was HOT! the highest temp that I experienced was 126 degrees. It actually was hotter than that when we were working on the air conditioners. Most of the a/c were on metal platforms and add the reflective heat to the ambient heat outside, it was at least 145 degrees. Just walking outside was painful; eyes burned and your lungs felt seered. The whole month of June we had severe sandstorms. Visibility was limited to 150 meters at best, and the sand was in everything: clothes, living quarters, teeth, eyes, undershorts, you name it, it was in there.

Kuwait is the single most desolate and ugly place I've been next to Saudi Arabia. Flat, sandy, and for four months it never rained once. The Kuwaiti's are the worst drivers in the world, bar none. Their idea of a jihad is to get behind the wheel and drive.

It was the best feeling in the world to get off the plane and have Jodi and the kids waiting at the gate for me. I am thankful for the internet and email, because that was my lifeline to back home. I anxiously awaited Jodi and the kids' emails, seeing as they were what kept me going over there.

It's great to be home!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Jodi-

Thanks for saying hello on my blog. That was very nice of you. You have a darling family. I'm sure I will stop by from time to time!

Erin

pamela said...

oh craig. it sounds so horrible. that heat. glad you are back, hope you never have to leave again!